Lightly creamy, this potato and sausage soup is hearty and satisfying enough to be a meal.
- 1 lb. bulk spicy Italian sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp. finely chopped garlic
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- 4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups small diced red potatoes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Heat 4-quart sauce pan over medium-high heat; add sausage, breaking apart as it starts to brown. Add onion, pepper, garlic, salt, herbs and pepper. Cook 5-7 minutes to soften vegetables and cook sausage through to an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Add kale; stir until wilted. Add flour and cook 2-3 minutes. Stir in broth and potatoes; bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook 5-10 minutes until potatoes are tender. Add cream; continue cooking until hot; adjust seasoning to taste. Refrigerate leftovers.