Bulgur (or cracked wheat) makes for a satisfying, sensational filling for these grilled red pepper halves. Any leftover filling can be enjoyed as a lunch the next day.
Hands-on Time: 25 minutes | Total Time: 1 hour | Servings: 4 -8 | Difficulty: Medium
- 5 large red bell peppers
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup coarse or medium bulgur
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 2 Tbsp. pine nuts
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 bag (6 oz.) fresh baby spinach leaves
- 3 Tbsp. fresh mint, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. fresh dill, chopped
- 1¼ cups crumbled feta cheese, divided
- ¼ tsp. coarse sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare grill for medium-high heat. Cut 4 peppers in half through stem end; remove seeds and cut out ribs, leaving stems intact. Finely chop remaining pepper; set aside.
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan; add bulgur and salt. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 30 minutes. Drain well.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add chopped pepper and sauté until tender, about 4 minutes. Add cranberries and pine nuts; sauté 2 minutes. Add cumin and stir just to combine. Add spinach; stir until beginning to wilt, about 5 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat and mix in bulgur, mint and dill. Stir in half of the cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place pepper halves, cut side down, on hot grill. Cover and grill 10 minutes; turn over and grill until slightly softened, about 5-10 minutes longer. Remove from grill.
- Divide bulgur mixture among pepper halves.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and serve.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
Per serving: Calories 410, Calories from Fat 180, Total Fat 21g (32% DV), Saturated Fat 8g (40% DV), Trans Fat 0g, Cholesterol 40mg (13% DV), Sodium 1240mg (52% DV), Carbohydrates 46g (15% DV), Dietary Fiber 9g (36% DV), Sugars 14g, Protein 14g, Vitamin A 180%, Vitamin C 490%, Calcium 30%, Iron 20%.