An easy way to bring traditional holiday flavor to your Christmas cookie platter.
Hands-On Time: 30 min.
Total time: 50 min.
Difficulty level: Easy
Yield: 3-5 dozen cookies
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 egg*
- 1¾ cups sifted, all-purpose flour (reserve ¼ cup for dredging candied fruit and dates)
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- ¾ cup chopped pecans
- 8 oz. Kroger Candied Cherries
- 8 oz. chopped dates
- 8 oz. Kroger Fruit Cake Mix
- Preheat oven to 400°F and grease several baking sheets.
- In a large bowl, beat shortening and sugar together until mixture assumes light, creamy texture.
- Add egg. Beat until well blended.
- In a separate, small bowl, combine 1½ cups flour, salt and baking soda. Mix well.
- Alternately beat flour mixture and buttermilk into shortening mixture.
- Dredge candied fruit pieces, candied cherries and dates in reserved flour. Fold floured fruits and chopped pecans into dough mix.
- Spoon dough onto greased baking sheets, leaving 1½” to 2” between cookies.
- Bake 8-13 min. (until cookies are lightly golden).
- Remove from oven and allow cookies to cool 15-20 min. on wire rack. Store in wax paper-lined, airtight container.
*Do not consume raw or undercooked batter.